Walter Reinisch, MD
Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine
Chairholder, Audrey Campbell Chair in Ulcerative Colitis Research
Associate Professor, Gastroenterology, Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Medical University of Vienna
Dr. Reinisch, MD, graduated at the Medical University of Vienna (MUV), where he finished his training in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. After initial scientific studies in oncology at the MUV and the National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, he decided to focus his research interest on inflammatory Bowel disease (IBD). Dr. Reinisch is founding member of the European Crohn’s & Colitis Organisation (ECCO) and was assigned as honorary member after having contributed in various positions. He was active in the Scientific and Public Affairs Committee of the United European Gastroenterology (UEG) and headed the Austrian IBD Study Group. Dr. Reinisch is member of the International Organization For the Study of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IOIBD).
Dr. Reinisch is an expert in designing, conducting and interpreting the results of clinical trials in IBD. He envisions a customized management of IBD utilizing the innovations of translational medicine. He advocates the implementation of a “common language of inflammatory bowel disease” to improve the communication with patients and between physicians for a better care and more robust research outcomes.
- Llompart, M, Reinisch, E. Imitation in a Second Language Relies on Phonological Categories but Does Not Reflect the Productive Usage of Difficult Sound Contrasts. Lang Speech. 2018; :23830918803978. doi: 10.1177/0023830918803978. PubMed PMID:30319031 .
- Reinisch, W, Bressler, B, Curtis, R, Parikh, A, Yang, H, Rosario, M et al.. Fecal Calprotectin Responses Following Induction Therapy With Vedolizumab in Moderate to Severe Ulcerative Colitis: A Post Hoc Analysis of GEMINI 1. Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2018; :. doi: 10.1093/ibd/izy304. PubMed PMID:30295811 .
- Yongwen Ng, J, Chauhan, U, Armstrong, D, Marshall, J, Tse, F, Moayyedi, P et al.. A Comparison of the Prevalence of Anxiety and Depression Between Uncomplicated and Complex IBD Patient Groups. Gastroenterol Nurs. ;41 (5):427-435. doi: 10.1097/SGA.0000000000000338. PubMed PMID:30272605 .
- Colombel, JF, Adedokun, OJ, Gasink, C, Gao, LL, Cornillie, FJ, D'Haens, GR et al.. Combination Therapy with Infliximab and Azathioprine Improves Infliximab Pharmacokinetic Features and Efficacy-a Post-hoc analysis. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018; :. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2018.09.033. PubMed PMID:30267864 .
- Högenauer, C, Mahida, Y, Stallmach, A, Marteau, P, Rydzewska, G, Ivashkin, V et al.. Pharmacokinetics and safety of fidaxomicin in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and Clostridium difficile infection: an open-label Phase IIIb/IV study (PROFILE). J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 2018; :. doi: 10.1093/jac/dky368. PubMed PMID:30260412 .
- Chan, CKF, Gulati, GS, Sinha, R, Tompkins, JV, Lopez, M, Carter, AC et al.. Identification of the Human Skeletal Stem Cell. Cell. 2018;175 (1):43-56.e21. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2018.07.029. PubMed PMID:30241615 .
- Krstic, J, Reinisch, I, Schupp, M, Schulz, TJ, Prokesch, A. p53 Functions in Adipose Tissue Metabolism and Homeostasis. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19 (9):. doi: 10.3390/ijms19092622. PubMed PMID:30181511 PubMed Central PMC6165290.
- Knight, HK, Galkin, IA, Reinisch, BW, Zhang, Y. Auroral ionospheric E region parameters obtained from satellite-based far ultraviolet and ground-based ionosonde observations: 1. Data, methods, and comparisons. J Geophys Res Space Phys. 2018;123 (7):6065-6089. doi: 10.1029/2017JA024822. PubMed PMID:30167352 PubMed Central PMC6110125.
- Heil, J, Sinn, P, Richter, H, Pfob, A, Schaefgen, B, Hennigs, A et al.. RESPONDER - diagnosis of pathological complete response by vacuum-assisted biopsy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast Cancer - a multicenter, confirmative, one-armed, intra-individually-controlled, open, diagnostic trial. BMC Cancer. 2018;18 (1):851. doi: 10.1186/s12885-018-4760-4. PubMed PMID:30144818 PubMed Central PMC6109284.
- Atreya, R, Reinisch, W, Peyrin-Biroulet, L, Scaldaferri, F, Admyre, C, Knittel, T et al.. Clinical efficacy of the Toll-like receptor 9 agonist cobitolimod using patient-reported-outcomes defined clinical endpoints in patients with ulcerative colitis. Dig Liver Dis. 2018;50 (10):1019-1029. doi: 10.1016/j.dld.2018.06.010. PubMed PMID:30120066 .