Clinical outcomes research
Dr. Marshall conducts and contributes to clinical trials of novel therapy for inflammatory bowel disease including novel biologic agents and small molecules, and innovative applications of existing therapies such as denosumab and vitamin D. He is also evaluating novel approaches to delivering care for IBD including enhanced participation by advanced-practice nurses and the application of standardized metrics for quality of care. Dr. Marshall is also evaluating both the patient impact of IBD care transitions (such as from pediatric to adult care, and from hospital to ambulatory care), and the role of IBD nurse practitioners in facilitating such transitions. He continues to conduct systematic reviews of IBD therapy such as 5ASA and ulcerative colitis rescue agents. Dr. Marshall also leads development and dissemination of national and global clinical practice guidelines for IBD care. In addition to his research activities, Dr. Marshall currently serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. He is Chief of Service for Gastroenterology at Hamilton Health Sciences, and Clinical Lead for the HHS IBD Clinic. He is heavily involved in postgraduate medical education, and is founder and chair of the CARE program held in conjunction with major international conferences in gastroenterology and hepatology.
- Papp, KA, Haraoui, B, Kumar, D, Marshall, JK, Bissonnette, R, Bitton, A et al.. Vaccination Guidelines for Patients with Immune-mediated Disorders Taking Immunosuppressive Therapies: Executive Summary. J. Rheumatol. 2019; :. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.180784. PubMed PMID:30709945 .
- Papp, KA, Haraoui, B, Kumar, D, Marshall, JK, Bissonnette, R, Bitton, A et al.. Vaccination Guidelines for Patients With Immune-Mediated Disorders on Immunosuppressive Therapies. J Cutan Med Surg. 2018; :1203475418811335. doi: 10.1177/1203475418811335. PubMed PMID:30463418 PubMed Central PMC6330697.
- Sham, HP, Bazett, M, Bosiljcic, M, Yang, H, Luk, B, Law, HT et al.. Immune Stimulation Using a Gut Microbe-Based Immunotherapy Reduces Disease Pathology and Improves Barrier Function in Ulcerative Colitis. Front Immunol. 2018;9 :2211. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.02211. PubMed PMID:30319652 PubMed Central PMC6170651.
- Baer, PA, Aumais, G, Ewara, EM, Khraishi, M, Marrache, AM, Panaccione, R et al.. Patterns and predictors of long-term retention of inflammatory bowel or rheumatoid disease patients on innovator infliximab: an analysis of a Canadian prescriptions claims database. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2018;12 :1805-1814. doi: 10.2147/PPA.S171363. PubMed PMID:30271124 PubMed Central PMC6154729.
- Leddin, D, Lieberman, DA, Tse, F, Barkun, AN, Abou-Setta, AM, Marshall, JK et al.. Clinical Practice Guideline on Screening for Colorectal Cancer in Individuals With a Family History of Nonhereditary Colorectal Cancer or Adenoma: The Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Banff Consensus. Gastroenterology. 2018;155 (5):1325-1347.e3. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2018.08.017. PubMed PMID:30121253 .
- Steinhart, AH, Panaccione, R, Targownik, L, Bressler, B, Khanna, R, Marshall, JK et al.. Clinical Practice Guideline for the Medical Management of Perianal Fistulizing Crohn's Disease: The Toronto Consensus. Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2019;25 (1):1-13. doi: 10.1093/ibd/izy247. PubMed PMID:30099529 .
- Marshall, JK, Bessette, L, Shear, NH, Lebovic, G, Glass, J, Millson, B et al.. Canada's Study of Adherence Outcomes in Patients Receiving Adalimumab: 3-year Results From the COMPANION Study. Clin Ther. 2018;40 (6):1024-1032. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2018.04.017. PubMed PMID:29803532 .
- Marshall, JK, Bessette, L, Thorne, C, Shear, NH, Lebovic, G, Gerega, SK et al.. Impact of the Adalimumab Patient Support Program's Care Coach Calls on Persistence and Adherence in Canada: An Observational Retrospective Cohort Study. Clin Ther. 2018;40 (3):415-429.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2018.02.001. PubMed PMID:29519714 .
- Cho, R, Wickert, NM, Klassen, AF, Tsangaris, E, Marshall, JK, Brill, H et al.. Identifying Needs in Young Adults With Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Qualitative Study. Gastroenterol Nurs. ;41 (1):19-28. doi: 10.1097/SGA.0000000000000288. PubMed PMID:29373352 .
- Carter, F, Alsayb, M, Marshall, JK, Yuan, Y. Mesalamine (5-ASA) for the prevention of recurrent diverticulitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;10 :CD009839. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009839.pub2. PubMed PMID:28973845 .